Loving all things vintage, retro, on film and fun!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Embroidery Hoop Notice Board

(FEATURED ON MY SISTERS CLOSET BLOG AS GUEST POST)


I have seen lots of different tutorials for a notice board, or somewhere to pin your photo's. My fridge was started to become a little overloaded with christmas photo cards, and little notes and memories that i have pin to it. I was definitely inspired, and remember the old embrodiery hoop that i had bought from the local thrift store for  a whopping $1. What a bargain!

This was the perfect craft to get me moving this morning through the morning sickness and pregnant tiredness that has been looming for longer than i can remember.

I like that the embroidery hoop gives it its own special twist.

STEP ONE :: I bought 4 square pieces of cork board from the dollar store, they came in packs of 2 for $2 each, so a total cost of $4. plus my $1 wooden embrodiery hoop (i got the largest one i could find)


STEP 2 :: Take your four pieces of cork board and get your glue gun ready to glue them all together


STEP 3 :: Now that you have all four glued together you are ready to trace the inner wooden hoop ontop of the cork board


Because the cork that i had bouight was so thin i was able to use my scissors to cut the circle out which helped alot, but if its thicket then an exacto/stanley knife will work (just make sure you have something under your cork board so you don't cut into your table)

STEP 4 :: Now I could start to see it coming together. it was certainly easier than i thought, as i didnt need to use a knife. I had a lot of left overs, but don't them away, you never know what craft may come up that you need.


Now grab your fabric.
STEP 5 :: I have had this fabric for months. I love it, and i plan on using it for my future kitchen blinds, but i had extra and with my notice board going in the kitchen what better a fabric to use! I fall in love with anything floral and vintage! this fabric makes my crafty heart tingle!

STEP 6 :: Lets get staple-ing. I was going to just hot glue gun it, but when i tested the stapler, as i  wanted the fabric to be tight on the cork board, it turns out the staples did not go all the way through, so it was perfect!
TIP :: When stapling make sure that you make little folds to make sure you dont get creases on the top side that will be showing.



STEP 6 :: Hot glue the inside hoop onto your fabriced cork circle and allow to dry... put some pressure on it to make sure it adheres well.
I then added the outside hoop that is adjustable, which makes it much easier to work with and adjust to hold the inside hoop and fabric circle.
I like moving the outside hoop back a little so that it covers the fabric that is peeping out from the gluing the inside hoop on. Plus it gives it a little ridge

 ALL DONE!!! I love it! it adds a whole new cute vintage feel in my kitchen! Once i find some ribbon i like i may add that to the top so i was use these cute little pegs that my friend from pocketful of whimsy made me for christmas!
ahhh craft done... time to shower!
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment