Loving all things vintage, retro, on film and fun!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Love Quilt

THE LOVE QUILT

So my best friend, and i mean best friend in the whole world, is getting married this monday - august 15th! I am thankfully cleared by my doctor to fly over to England to be her maid of honour. Being seven months preggo was a little cutting it close, but im still in the saftey zone to fly.


I knew i had to come up with a gift that had time and love spilled into it. She deserves it. I have known helen since birth. Our parents met at the pre natal classes when they were preggo with us, and we have been friend ever since. She came to canada to be maid of honour at our wedding and now i get the honour of being hers. Im so thrilled and excited!

So came the idea of "THE LOVE QUILT". Helen lives in this amazing quaint little typical english cottage, and what better thing to add to the household then a "random, ecletic, vintage,  not so neatly put together patchwork quilt" to start their marriage with.

It took time for sure. I had so many different sheets i had used and fabric i had picked up to make it as crazy and vintage retro as possible.

I am so happy with the the way it turned out. You dont have to have all the patches all lined up evenly, i like that its a little odd looking. I tied it all it with a fabric border and i love it! i cant wait to give it to them!



i think im gonna try making one for my baby soon to be born!



Its hard to capture the whole thing in a photo...:(


I had to give it a patchwork union jack, and i used pink instead of red to make it a bit more country cottage! Its my favourite patch

I found these beautiful dollies at the thrift store, and used them to customise another patch


And here is my cheat hint for you... i was going to use fabric on the other side and quilt batting stitched into the inside, but i like to keep things simple and so when i came across a cream cuddly fleece blanket, i knew i wanted that to be the back. Way more cozy for the two newlyweds to  snuggle up with! (And much easier)

This had much satisfaction at the end, but it was definitely a longer porject that most crafts i like, but this one had heart in it!
Enjoy the rest of your summer, and im sure to share some pics from my england vacation when i get back!




No comments:

Post a Comment